Wednesday 10 February 2016

Learning new skills.

Talking about learning styles seems to have gone out of fashion since I was teaching, but I found it very useful to think about how I learn best, which is the subject of this Wordpress prompt. ( Why am I writing about Wordpress prompts on a Blogger blog? Well, it's a neglected little blog, and I felt it needed a bit of attention. Also I don't think anyone reads it, so I can waffle as much as I like without boring anyone to tears.)

But I digress. If you had asked me about my learning style before I did the test, I'd have said I was a verbal leaner - I love to read and I talk a lot. But I'm not a good listener: I switch off too easily. According to learning styles tests (and I've taken several different versions) I'm a visual-kinaesthetic learner - that is, I like to be shown, and then I like to do it for myself.

However, I'm not completely convinced by this. The kinaesthetic bit is definitely true, I need to try things for myself. And, dead give away, if I do have to listen to a speaker or read a text book, I have to make notes. I may never look at them again, but if I've made notes I have a much better understanding of what I'm being told, and more chance of remembering it too.

But the visual? I've found, since I've started taking on-line courses, that I much prefer those that provide pdf's, to those which just have videos- even if I make notes. Videos help, but they are not permanent - watching them again Is a bore. And for me they are no substitute for the written word. I think my visual learning is limited to still pictures and diagrams.

For me, the best way to plan, or learn, or explore ideas, is the mind map. It's kinaesthetic, because I have to draw it. It's visual, because it's a diagram. But it's also verbal, because it uses words. Perfect.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment