Sunday 9 August 2015

Playing with Sketches

 
Another exercise in the 'Playing with Sketches' book suggests making rubbings from embroideries. Now I have quite a few embroideries around Cheese Acres - this one (top right) was inspired by the trunk of a beech tree and was actually in the waste bin when I started this exercise! 
 
Things. I learned:
  1. Some embroideries work better as rubbings than as embroideries.
  2. Contrary to all I've ever been told about making rubbings, thin paper is not necessarily the best. The blue here is a light card and it worked very well.
  3. You can make rubbings direct onto fabric but you need to secure it well.
 
Since making these I've experimented with making embroideries specifically for rubbings, making rubbings on tracing paper, and using fabric crayons and fabric pastels for rubbings, using paper bag paper for fabric crayon rubbings, and embroidering into a heat transferred rubbing.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment